Rhetores Latini Minores, ex codicibus maximam partem primum adhibitis emendabat Carolus Halm, Lipsiae 1863, 585-589 (Bibliotheca Scriptorum Graecorum et Romanorum Teubneriana).
Ms. Paris, Bibliothèque Nationale de France Lat. 7530 was written at Monte Cassino in a Beneventan script between 779 and 796 AD. The codex consists of a grammatical miscellany that includes – among many other texts - three short excerpta: ff. 224v3-29 transmit the De laudibus quarumque rerum and the De laudibus urbium, which Eckstein has already published in Anecdota Parisina; ff. 250v17-251v1 transmit the De historia and De epistolis beneath a section containing Fortunatianus; and ff. 258r30-259v3 transmit the De civili quaestione beneath a section dedicated to Emporius. According to Louis Holtz, this collection represents “Monte Cassino’s synthesis” of letters and arts. Halm was the first editor of the second and third parts, but he published them in reverse order; consequently, in Rhetores Latini Minores the three fragments are presented in the sequence De civili quaestione, De laudibus, De historia, De epistolis. Already at that time Halm thought that different authors had written the different sections; the dating of the excerpta, however, remains uncertain. The De epistolis is attached to the analogous treatise of Julius Victor, which itself dates to the 4th c. For various reasons, the second part of this treatise is of special importance: it includes the first medieval codification of the laudes urbium (Nuti); it contains the De historia, which describes “the mode of thinking common to rhetorical schools in that period, and therefore common to the men of culture who were educated in those schools” (Lana); and it includes the De epistolis, which constitutes the oldest extant treatment of epistolary theory in Latin after Julius Victor. [A. Balbo; tr. C. L. Caterine].
Detailed information about Codex Parasinus Lat. 7530 can be found at the following URL: http://archivesetmanuscrits.bnf.fr/ead.html?id=FRBNFEAD000094636.
High-resolution images of the manuscript can be consulted here: